Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Takeoff

It's almost 1am here in Philadelphia.  I'm pulling off my first "all-nighter"... a 2:15am checkout time from the hotel doesn't really leave me many other choices.
If you can believe it, I'm still not ready to leave.  Just applied for personal property insurance (maybe waited a little bit too late on that one?) after someone reminded me that my bags might get robbed at the airport.  Nice.  I took a long, hot shower, probably the last one for a long time.  I'm still trying to figure out how to organize my bags.  Somehow, I ended up being one of the few people here without a roommate, which I've come to appreciate.  I can lay on the bed eating chicken fingers in my PJs, watching Spongebob (oh how I'll miss him), and writing in my blog (yep, doing it now!) without anyone judging me. Teehee!

Today was seven hours of orientation, learning about rules (Peace Corps calls them "regulations") and doing ice breakers to get to know one another.  So far, I've met some very wonderful people.  No one from Colorado, though.   During one team activity, a guy at our table noticed something wierd on the floor.  It looked like a piece of poop, or a tiny sausage.  We laughed so hard; I was slapping my knees crying.  Even if it was a sausage and not dog poop, where did it come from?  Someone's pocket?  Thank God these people share my poop humor!!!

I'm now leaving for Africa in about an hour.  It still hasn't hit me yet, and probably won't until halfway through my 15 hour flight.  I'll arrive in Johannesburg on Friday at 8:35am, leave there around 1pm for Maseru, and arrive in Maseru at 2:40pm.  Peace Corps staff will greet us at the airport and take us directly to our host families, where I'll most likely have no running water or electricity.  Remind me again why Peace Corps have that "dirty hippie" rep? ;-)

I've been told over and over that "no news is good news", so please don't worry about me if I don't check in for a week or so.  I've been warned by enough people to be smart, be safe (Dad! Juli! Yes I'm talking about you!) and I know I am.  I hope you think I am, too.  I chose to do this.  I can't wait for the adventure!

Khotso-

Hannah

1 comment: