Monday, October 15, 2012

thoughts on a year


            It’s been exactly one year.  One year in Africa. 

A year of waking up to roosters in the morning and seeing the brightest stars at night.  A year of Black Labels and bad decisions and buckets for everything.  A year of hitch hiking and traveling from hostel to hostel, getting lost, seeing giraffes and the ocean and enjoying a margarita more than I ever have before in my life.  A year of being squished in the back row of stuffy, overcrowded taxis.  A year of getting sick and being homesick, meeting new friends and saying goodbye to old ones.  A year of frustration and tears.  A year of falling in love.  A year of books by candlelight and good conversations.  A year of being harassed by African children literally everywhere I go.  A year of teaching and learning, feeling hopeful and regretful, being alone and being surrounded by some of the best people I will ever know.

I’ve learned more about myself and about the world in this one year than I could’ve ever imagined.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve questioned my decision to come here.  Some days, I want to crawl into my bed and ignore the knocks on my door and not even open my windows until the sun goes down again.  I want to go home and take a hot shower and relax on the couch and watch cartoons.  I want to send unlimited text messages and drink Starbucks and go out to eat in a Mexican restaurant.  I want to throw my dishes in a dishwasher and curl up in a warm blanket after it comes out of the dryer.  And I want to smell pollution in downtown Denver and hear English all around me and walk outside at night.  I won’t lie to you.  I miss home, a lot. 

Peace Corps is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

But this is my home now.  And if I’m really honest with myself, I know I will miss it.  I’ll miss the alone time in my quiet house that I’ve learned to cherish.  After a year of being alone, I’ve become my own best friend—which I think is something everyone needs to learn how to do.  I’ll miss how long it takes to do laundry, because now I don’t focus on the task at hand but instead on the sun warming my back and my dogs playing next to me.  I’ll miss the sweet faces of my students when they greet me every morning at school.  I’ll miss my morning walks to school, when I wake up even before the sun.  I’ll miss those humbling moments when my first reaction to a stranger approaching me is defensive, when all they really want to do is tell me that I look beautiful.

Peace Corps is a lot like running.  Maybe it’s because I’ve been trying to run more often these days and I’ve got running on my mind, but I like to compare the two.  It hurts and it’s tough and a lot of people think you are absolutely crazy for doing it.  You’re alone for most of it.  It’s all mental—you can quit at any time, but you keep forcing yourself to go on because of some unexplainable internal drive to finish the race.  And at the end, you come out unbelievably stronger than how you began.

I’m tired.  But I’m only halfway finished with the marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment