Sunday, April 29, 2012

dreaming of a white Christmas


               Fall in Colorado starts when the Aspen trees turn from yellow to orange to a deep crimson red.  It means that you pull on a sweatshirt in the evenings when you step outside to throw the chicken on the grill.  Fall gusts of wind bring shivers along your neck and handfuls of crunchy, scraping leaves along the sidewalk.  It means that there are special Halloween movies on television and the candy aisles in the grocery store burst in colors of black and orange.  Fall means football season and Sunday afternoons of queso dip, tortilla chips, and Coors Lights. 

                Now, here in Lesotho, the leaves are changing, the weather is crisp and cool in the morning, and I’m ready for Halloween and Thanksgiving.  I’ve even busted out my Ugg Boots for the first time this season (telltale sign of winter for us Colorado girls—Ugg Season).  Except this year, the holidays won’t be coming anytime soon.  It’s only April.

                I knew when I joined the Peace Corps that I’d be missing out on these familiar comforts of home for a full two years.  I knew that inevitably, there would be weddings and funerals, babies born and relationships come and gone.  It’s not hard to keep in touch with everyone from home, so these things (hopefully) won’t come as a surprise as they happen.  I won’t be completely out-of-the-loop when I come home in December 2013.  I might be a little shaggier, stinkier, poorer, and more Peace Corps-looking.  But I’ll have somewhat of an idea on big life events that I’ve missed.  

                However, it doesn’t make it any easier dwelling on the little things that I know are happening at home as the seasons pass.  The routines.  When you’re stuck in the routine, you forget about how nice it can actually be. 

I miss so many routines.  I miss eating frozen Kit Kats and ice cream with a fork with Dad, watching HBO late at night.  I miss driving my little sister to school in the morning and then going to the Einsteins drive-thru with Kristy.  I miss getting ready on Friday nights with my friends, taking shots at our basement kitchen table in between applying mascara and straightening our hair (“Al, are you wearing heels?”  “What do you think?”).  I miss drinking wine with Mom on the back porch while we grill steaks.  I miss driving around with my brothers while they introduce new music to me—way cooler music than I’d ever listen to.  I miss grocery stores and big fruits and vegetables.  I miss couches.  I miss the morning news and a good cup of coffee.

Here, there is no routine at all.  Waking up every day, I may have an idea of what might happen… but no two days are ever the same.  

                Maybe it was easier last Christmas being away for the holidays (for the first time ever in my life) because the weather was warm.  To be honest, I hardly noticed that I missed out on Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  I think this colder weather and the changing leaves are triggering some inner nostalgia for home.

                My Mom gave me some great advice a few months ago when I was feeling particularly homesick.  She said, “in two years, you’ll be homesick for Lesotho”.  I’m trying to keep that in mind as I think about home.  I’m trying to live in the moment and appreciate what I have right now.  Funny how it takes moving thousands of miles away from home to finally understand these things.

                For now, I’m going to celebrate the holidays anyways.  Not sure how I’ll manage to bake peanut brittle in a dutch oven, or watch football and drink a cold beer, but I’ll figure it out.  Things always have a way of eventually figuring themselves out.          

No comments:

Post a Comment