Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pen pals


               In class on Wednesday last week, we learned how to write “friendly letters”.  In friendly letters, as opposed to a business letter, you use casual language, you chat about your life lately, and you sign off using just your first name or maybe even a nickname. 

                My kids are writing friendly letters to their new “pen friends” in America.  I was lucky enough to be paired with my little sister Lindsay’s classroom through the Peace Corps World Wise Schools program.  Through the program, I’ll write letters to Lindsay’s classroom and share my experiences abroad.  After discussing with Lindsay’s teacher, Mrs. Jensen, we decided that we also wanted our students to have the opportunity to write to each other directly.

                My dad and my stepmom immediately jumped at the chance to get involved with the project.  My stepmom Kristy went to Lindsay’s classroom and took individual photos of the American students to accompany each letter.  My dad financed sending the package through DHL, so hopefully we’ll be receiving the letters in the next few days.

                Of course, my kids were absolutely ecstatic that they would have new American friends.

                So, after introducing the topic of the “friendly letter”, we decided to brainstorm some questions that we could ask these strange American kids.  The usual questions immediately surfaced: how old are they?  What do they eat?  What do they do in their spare time?  Where do they go to school? 

                They were good questions, but I wanted more… pizzazz.  How many chances will you get in life to ask an American student anything you want??  So I started egging them on. 

                “Do you know that in America, we don’t have buckets?  Everyone uses SHOWERS!!!”

                Gasps erupted around the classroom.

                “And did you know that in America, the kids wear their street clothes to school, every day?!

                One of the boys didn’t believe me.  How could they go to school in anything but a school uniform?  What an outrage.

                This provoked some interesting questions.  I asked the students to begin their letters with a personal introduction, write a second paragraph explaining a little about Lesotho, and end with a final paragraph with any questions that they wanted to ask. 

                The third paragraphs were easily the longest of the three.
 
                What kinds of transport do they use in America?  Donkeys or horses?  What do they use for bathing?  What do they do in the morning?  What do they want to be when they grow up?  Why didn’t they come visit last weekend?  What is their mother’s name?

                We wrote a draft letter on Wednesday and made corrections in class, so that the following day we could write a beautiful, perfect letter on clean white paper.  My students are meticulous about making their letters straight and legible and mistake-free.

                Thursday morning was the big day.  I walked into English class at 9:20am with my stack of loose leaf paper.  Some of the girls who sit nearest to my desk were whispering and giggling.  As soon as I sat down, they said “we are so happy today, madam!” 

It took at least an hour to copy down the letters that they had written in class the day before.  But they didn’t quite copy word-for-word what they had previously written.  They must have been inspired overnight, because they tried their hardest to spice up their writing to impress their new pen friends.  One of them even signed off her letter by saying “pass my greetings to mum and dad!”  Honestly, I don’t know where in the world they hear some of the things that they say.

                I can’t wait for them to hear back from their pen friends.  It sounds like a typical, sappy Peace Corps moment, but watching my kids hunched over their letters, scribbling away madly and perfecting every line, made me feel like I suddenly had a big lump stuck in my throat.  I felt like I needed to puff out my chest and make more room to breathe.  Some of these kids have, quite literally, nothing at home.  Having a letter from their own friend in America (with a personalized photo!) is going to mean the world to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment