Sunday, August 5, 2012

if you're moving to Lesotho...


So I think that by now, or close to now, all of the invitations for the 2013 Education volunteers have been issued. 

Yay!

If you are one of these oh-so-lucky invitees, congratulations.  I still remember the very moment when I opened my invitation packet.  I think the first thing I said was “where the @!#% is Lesotho?”

And then I think I started wondering what the hell to pack for the next two years of my life.  It’s not an easy question to answer.  I searched through countless blogs of current volunteers, even emailing a few of them (which was really no help at all), and I looked over and over the Peace Corps Lesotho “suggested packing list”.

Two suitcases for two years.  Shit.

Looking back now, I wish I wouldn’t have stressed out so much about this predicament.  You really don’t need as much as you think you do.  If I’ve learned anything while being in Peace Corps, it’s how to pack light.  And this is coming from Miss Can’t Wear A Going-Out Outfit Two Weekends In A Row.

But if I could give you any specific advice for what to pack, here’s what I’d recommend: 

·         Dark clothes.  All of my white and off-white shirts are now being used as kitchen rags.  After two or three hand-washes, they were trashed.
·         Electronics.  Specifically an iPod and a computer.  I don’t know why anyone would even consider leaving behind a computer.  Also, if you don’t have one already, an external hard drive with movies and TV shows.  I didn’t bring one, but I ended up having one send.  You’ll also make friends with in-country volunteers a lot quicker (if you bring me any Sex and the City, I’ll make you my new BFF).
·         Chacos or Tevas.  Again, I didn’t bring any but ended up having them sent.  Yes, you may look and feel like a woodsy lesbian while you wear them, but Peace Corps considers them appropriate work shoe attire (and these ones are actually pretty cute!)
·         A solar charger, if you’re willing to dish out the money.  One big enough to charge your phone and iPod is all you need.
·         A good set of knives, if you like to cook.  These are amazing and they never need to be sharpened.
·         A radio to keep you company.  I bought this one, and I really like it.  It’s kind of annoying to wind-up on cloudy days, but I never have to worry about batteries.

I hope this alleviates some packing anxiety.  Don’t be shy to email me (or any other volunteers) with questions you might have about packing.  We’ve all been there.  Try not to stress out much about it.  If you forget something, or regret something, you can probably find it here or have it shipped.  People love to ship things to you; it’s great.  It’s like Christmas repeats itself all over again with every package you’ll receive.

Happy packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment